The Magistrate is a group in the world of Paladins. Led by Grand Magister Karne, the Magistrate is the leading power in the Realm, consisting of former Paladins and skilled magicians. After accidents involving crystals began to occur, Karne decided to ban crystals from the general public. The Magistrate has the ability to call upon all loyal houses when needed.
History[edit | edit source]
Following the second and final of the Goblin Scourges, peace was brought to the Realm, making the Paladins no longer needed, causing them to disband and either head back to their normal lives, or join the newly created Magistrate, an assembly of former Paladins and powerful sorcerers, led by the former Paladin Karne himself as Grand Magister.
However, with the discovery of the crystals, accidents and misuses of this new power, Karne feared these incidents would send them back to chaos and war, as had been the case all those years ago. The Grand Magister decided to outlaw crystals from commoners. Many agreed with Karne, believing this choice would help bring peace back to the Realm, while others feared or distrusted the Magistrate.
They began raids and incursions across the land seizing any crystals they could find. In one battle against the newly-formed Resistance, one of the casualties was a powerful Stagalla shattered by a fierce commander. Though beaten, the Resistance did not dissipate and now a war has erupted.
Known Members[edit | edit source]
- It is unknown if Terminus is still being used by the Magistrate due to Corvus being the one controlling him, as revealed here.
- Although Skye has been seen with the Magistrate in the "A Realm Divided" lore video, and been mentioned to work with them in her bio, it's unknown if she's still part of it, as Vora's kill taunt towards her (▶️) implies she may have left.
- Despite fighting Corvus' in his reveal trailer, Strix still works with the Magistrate, as revealed here.
- Vivian also still works with the Magistrate in Deepwerks, despite being part of Corvus' Group, as revealed here.
- Old Viktor was shown fighting alongside New Viktor in Yagorath's card Futile Efforts, before later reappearing alongside New Viktor once again, this time with the addition of Octavia and Magistrate banners, in Octavia's card Dominant Dome.
- During the Battle Suit Battle Pass, this challenge was available: "Slay 11 different Magistrate Champions". So during the patch 2.1 11 playable champions were officially assigned to the Magistrate.
- Oddly, during the End Times event where champions were divided between Magistrate and Resistance, Fernando, Skye, Terminus, and Vivian were not available as Magistrate champions.
- As also shown during the End Times event, Kinessa, Maeve, Ruckus and Seris were available for both the Magistrate and Resistance. The former two are thought to possibly have been hired, though the latter two's reasons are unknown.
- Seris and Zhin were also seen on the Magistrate's side during the Siege of Ascension Peak event. Zhin is thought to have been hired, while Seris remains unknown.
Groups[edit | edit source]
- As revealed here, House Aico and the Magistrate are like business partners, Lian not being very loyal.
- As expanded on a bit here, House Aico doesn't always listen to what the Magistrate requests of them.
Former Groups[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Magistrate was created in Stone Keep, the same location the original Paladins fought off the second Goblin Scourge and brought peace to the Realm.
- It was initially stated that the Magistrate was created several centuries ago in A Realm Divided, as well as further implied in the Siege of Ascension Peak lore cinematic, however, it was later stated to have only been nearly a single century since it was created.
- It was revealed here that the Magistrate is not known for being nature friendly.
- As implied here, the Magistrate compensates individuals who have given crystals to them.